Manayunk, Pennsylvania is located in the
Northwestern section of Philadelphia County. It was originally a
community of Roxborough Township. Manayunk was first bought from
William Penn in 1685-1686, and then transferred to the William
Levering family. The town became known as Flat Rock in 1810. Flat
Rock came from an unusually flat rock located in the Schuylkill
River. A bridge was built at this location, which became known as
the ‘Flat Rock Bridge.’
Around 1840, the town’s name was changed from
‘Flat Rock’ to ‘Manayunk.’ Manayunk was derived from a Lenape
Indian’s word for river, mëneyung or manaiung .
Manaiung means ‘a place to drink.’ At this time, Manayunk became
its own borough. This would last for about 14 years. In 1854, all of
the boroughs of Philadelphia were consolidated through the Act of
Consolidation. At this time, Manayunk just became known as a
neighborhood in Philadelphia.
In the 19th Century, Manayunk was
know for its construction of its dam and canal along the Schuylkill
River. These produced great power, which was used by the Mills and
Factories that were then developed along the Schulkill River. The
area became a manufacturing village.