Gladwyne, Pennsylvania is located in Lower
Merion Township in Montgomery County, PA. Gladwyne was settled by
the Welsh Quakers in 1682. It was originally named ‘Merion Square.’
Gladwyne was the summer home for many wealthy Philadelphians after
the Civil War and the construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad in
the Main Line area. Gladwyne is considered one of the wealthiest
places in the country.
Old Guard House Inn is a historic site in Gladwyne. It was
erected in the 1790s by Henry Hembold, and is currently a
Continental Restaurant known for fine dining.
Gladwyne is the home to the
Philadelphia Country Club, which was founded in 1890. The
Philadelphia Country Club has been listed by the United State Golf
Associations one of the first 100 clubs established in the United