Bryn Mawr, PA is located in Haverford, Lower
Merion, and Radnor Townships. The name 'Bryn Mawr' is taken
from the Welsh, and means "big hill." 'Bryn Mawr' is taken from a
Welsh farm near Dolgellau in North Wales. The estate was the farm
of Rowland Ellis, who emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1686. Bryn Mawr
is located near the center of the Main Line in Pennsylvania.
The town was known as 'Humphreysville' until it
was renamed with the coming of the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1869.
Bryn Mawr is the home to Bryn Mawr College,
which is a women's liberal arts college founded in 1869.
The Harriton House is one of Bryn Mawr's
historic attractions. The home was built in 1704 by Rowland Ellis.